Wednesday, August 1, 2007

My thoughts on MPI's WEC 2007

Here's a blog post I orginially posted to the MPI WEC Blog: http://www.mpiweb.org/cms/mpiweb/wec2007/wec_allblog.aspx?groupblog=3

A perspective from a web 2.0 event planner -- Posted by Rebecca C Cotter, Event Mgm Cert. on 7/31/2007 5:52:22 PM

WEC 2007 was my first experience with what MPI has to offer in the field of professional education, and I must say I was thoroughly impressed! As I am embarking on the first steps of my career in the events' industry, I am, as Don Tapscott indicated during his discussion at the Opening Session, one in the demographic that has 'grown up' with the web tools that are quickly revolutionizing our industry. From this tech-savvy perspective, I must commend MPI and the 2007 WEC for making such a priority out of exposing this year's attendees to what I feel is the significance held by this new technology.

I'd like to extend a sincere 'thank you' to those MPI members that attended Sunday afternoon's "Reality 2.0: Attracting and Engaging the Next Generation Member" education session -- I was one of the panel members, and it was an honour to have the opportunity to share my knowledge of and experience with the new collaborative internet with you. In an effort to extend our networking oppotunities beyond our time spent together in Montreal, I invite you to read and contribute to my blog at: http://www.theeventplan.blogspot.com/ -- I look forward to seeing you on the web.

-- Rebecca Cotter, MPI Ottawa Chapter

My Bio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Special Event Coordinator Trained and experienced professional event coordinator specializing in event logistics and coordination for large-scale concerts, festivals, client and special events. Experience preparing: site plans, event schedules, budgets, critical paths, capital and operating budgets, and post-event reports. Proficient with sourcing and managing vendors and suppliers (RFPs, catering, audio visual, décor, entertainment, logistics, travel, etc.). Event marketing background includes planning and executing comprehensive print, radio, television, viral and social media campaigns as well as experience designing and distributing event materials (signage, tickets, brochures). Competent leader - hiring, training and leading teams of event coordinators and volunteers.